Congratulations to the Medan Area University (UMA) Achieved Greenmetric World University Ranking National rank 17 and International rank 303 and at the North Sumatra University Medan Area University ranked 2nd with 5425 scores the first USU with a 5800 score and rank 3 Unimed with a score of 4650 from 6 indications of UI Greenmetric assessment. Medan Area University is the only Private University that is awarded the Greenmetric Ranking.
University of Medan Area (UMA) has a high commitment to managing the environment of the campus to become an environmentally friendly campus. Medan Area University is the only Private University in North Sumatra that has a conservation forest. Besides that, UMA has obtained the Bestari campus certificate and the UI GreenMetric certificate, this shows that UMA has high awareness in environmental management.
To realize the step as a green campus, and also as a pilot environmentally friendly campus UMA has implemented a variety of concrete actions. One of them is saving energy in the form of replacing electric lights with LED lights, utilizing rainwater into RO water ready for drinking, transportation using electricity, processing B1 B2 and B3 waste, processing waste into organic compost fertilizer, etc.
UI GreenMetric is one program that assesses the University based on the University’s commitment and actions towards greening and environmental sustainability.
The indications for the GreenMetric UI assessment are:
- Land and Infrastructure Arrangements, information on the University’s land and infrastructure arrangements will provide basic information regarding the University’s consideration towards a green environment
- Energy and Climate Change, the University’s attention to the problem of energy use and climate change are indicators that are given a high percentage.
- Waste, waste management, and recycling activities have a big factor in a green environment.
- Water, an indicator of water use at the University, aims to enable the University to reduce water use, add water conservation programs, and others.
- Transportation, transportation indicators assess the University’s regulations relating to transportation, such as restrictions on motor vehicles, the use of buses, and bicycles at the University to encourage a healthier environment.
- Education, this indicator focuses more on the various efforts of the University in creating a new generation that is more concerned about environmental sustainability.